Thread: Powder
View Single Post
Old February 20, 2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
There is some anecdotal evidence that Alliant 2400 is a little faster than the older Hercules 2400 was. Always consult the newest, latest load data you can find (pressure measuring is much more accurate now than it used to be), and start well under max to work up loads.

If the older stuff is a little slower, you should have a little more margin for error . . . which is a GOOD thing.
If the anecdotal evidence -IS- fact, then your advice is good. But it's based on.... anecdotal evidence?! If the newer stuff happens to be slower...?

A call to Alliant is the safest route, but might not net the best results. Often in this day and age, the easiest and "safest" answer for those guys to give is, "sorry, we didn't make it, we can't comment, we think you should go out and buy a new bottle with our name on it."

If that's the result of calling them, I can't see any valid reason why it wouldn't make sense to simply look for some older published data. And yes, we can help in finding some of that if you cannot.

(keep in mind, however, that black mamaba's advice to look for new & current data is also a quite relevant and good tip, as the newest data typically has the most modern TESTING which has produced it. Over time, a lot of published data has been lowered a bit across the board and many folks believe it's all due to "lawyers" but the fact is quite simply that the ballistic labs that do the testing and produce the results have much better & more accurate pressure testing equipment these days than they did in the heyday of Hercules powders.)

I still have a couple different Hercules powders on hand.

Page generated in 0.02483 seconds with 8 queries