View Single Post
Old August 1, 2012, 01:15 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
The argument for the large cap mags and guns is clear. They have utility in SD and the defense against tyranny. Trying to downplay their efficacy by saying they are not that dangerous won't work. The Constitution protects them for their efficacy, not because they aren't... trying to make the bad gun look not dangerous is not a good point. The growth in the gun culture is not in the gun realm but in the SD realm. That is explicitly because they are dangerous and efficacious.
+100.

Although Glenn sums it up very well, I like to compare the RKBA to another radical idea enshrined in our Constitution- free speech. Just like high-capacity semi-automatic guns can be dangerous to innocents, free speech can lead to the exchange of ideas, pictures, publications, and speech that are distasteful, obscene, or even outright dangerous. These facts cannot be disputed, no matter how one twists the arguments around.

The central question should be this:

Is it beneficial for society as a whole for these rights to be taken away from good men, in order to stop the potential actions of a few bad men?

Our founding fathers said NO. I agree with them, as do many other Americans.

I wish the mass shootings would stop. I also wish that the members of the Westboro Baptist Church would shut up and disappear. However, do I want to see the rights of average law-abiding citizens taken away to make these things happen? NO.

Page generated in 0.03559 seconds with 8 queries