View Single Post
Old February 15, 2012, 05:54 AM   #93
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Explain to me how you would be able to engages the slide stop without a magazine in the firearm without that flange. To me that is why it is there.
Note: I agree with you. I think it's meant to be pressed, but am just making the point that the gun will function without you ever touching it.

The lock engages automatically when the magazine empties, and you don't have to touch it. And you can release it when using the slingshot technique, and you don't have to touch it.

Like you, I think that if the gun designers DIDN'T want you to be able to disengage the slide lock or slide release by finger pressure they wouldn't have put the flange there that allows it to be pressed -- because the slide will lock back (and can be released) without you touching the lever. They clearly put it there for a reason.

It appears that the folks who designed the SR9c look at it differently, as do the folks who designed the Walter PPK/S mentioned in an earlier response.

That does not explain why other guns are offered with EXTENDED SLIDE RELEASES, that allow you to release the slide without changing your grip... I have had such weapons, and my favorite gun, a custom AT-84s has had all of its controls (including the slide release) extended for easier access -- it's a great gun.

The SR9C manual tells you what THAT gun's designers think is best for THAT GUN. The PPK/s obviously is meant to be used in a different way. Some small guns don't even have a slide release, and don't lock back after the last shot -- what does any of this tell us? Not much.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.02769 seconds with 8 queries