View Single Post
Old November 29, 2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Jim Watson

W231 and HP38 are the same stuff NOW.
They have always come out of the same plant, most recently St Marks, built by Olin/Winchester but now owned by General Dynamics.
Hodgdon does not own the factory, just the Winchester distributorship. But that makes it convenient for them to label powder off the same truck whichever way they have the orders for.

Some older manuals that bother to show both W231 and HP38 load them more than 3% apart, I had one book with them about 10% different for the same caliber. My last smidgen of W231, kept in its cone-topped metal can for use in my fixed bushing CH powder measure, it nearly that far from my present big jug of HP38.

I think the grades have been merged for convenience but were not previously the same detail specs back when Winchester packaged and distributed their own products.

Oh, by the way, Accurate powders are now Made in USA. Being of the Ball process, they have to be coming out of St Marks.
Does anybody have an equivalence chart of the AA powders vs St Marks factory designation and Hodgdon or WW powders?

Page generated in 0.03669 seconds with 8 queries