Thread: barrel bluing ?
View Single Post
Old November 27, 2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Buzzard Bait

well Pahoo

I have not tried Art's Belgium blue yet. I have tried several other cold blues. For the most part I have had poor results. Brownells ospho blue seems to be the best for touching up a worn spot and blending it in to whats already there. I saw a blue job done on a older 22 rifle that was a rust blue (don't know what brand) and it was beautiful. I have learned along the way #1 is that surface prep is king what looks like a small blemish on the unblued metal looks like a large festering sore after the bluing is applied. Also most of the cold blues are pretty good at touching up a small area but when it comes to bluing a complete large area like a barrel or a receiver cold blue always left me with streaks or blotches or in some way an uneven finish. I have found that for darkening a small area like the muzzle of a rifle that has turned silver from rubbing the gun case and or the muzzle blast the 44 40 bluing is fast easy and will match well with the existing blue but it wears of easy too. I watched Midway's video and I'm going to try Art's Belgium blue probably while I'm off for the Christmas holidays on this barrel. I have hope that I'll get good results.
bb

Page generated in 0.02947 seconds with 8 queries