View Single Post
Old May 21, 2010, 08:23 PM   #22
mykeal

There is much in that article I don't agree with, especially using corn meal to reduce fouling (first time I've ever heard that one - his entire treatise on reducing fouling is just plain bizzare!), but on balance I agree with some of his recommendations. I would agree that chamfering is an improvement worth adding to your revolver's chamber mouths for two reasons: swaging the ball to fit the chamber is better than cutting it (although his hyperbole about making the ball undersize is just nuts, unless the chamber is cone shaped) and to a lesser extent the idea about controlling the flame makes some sense.

Reshaping the ball from a sphere to an oblate spheroid by swaging it into the chamber is actually a good thing for accuracy. The spheroid is easier to stabilize by rotating it as the inertia about the axis of rotation is greater than that about the radial axis. The relatively short barrel of a revolver makes this less important but every little bit helps.

And you're right - it's the gas that causes chain fires, not sparks or hot grains of powder. And a hot gas can easily make it through the convoluted path from chamber to chamber from either the front or the back of the cylinder.

Page generated in 0.02120 seconds with 8 queries