View Single Post
Old February 15, 2009, 12:42 PM   #51
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate45
The only point I'm trying to make, is that your calls for support of the NFA, no matter how well intentioned are based on the same logic used by those who want no private ownership of firearms whatsoever. Remember that the antis also believe that their ideas will make society safer, by severely limiting personal weapons ownership.
Nate, good points and this illuminates something I adhere to when reading posts on TFL or talking about guns rights to others.

I don't look at the Brady types in black and white focus. One thing I learned in school years ago is that political or military opponents tend to project mirror images of themselves on each other. The other side is always, stupid, corrupt and malevolent and if you don't agree then you are a traitor. Such mental orthodoxy seldom produces anything useful and just tends to polarize the debate.

I like to look at the ideas and judge and discuss them objectively rather than just saying "well that's a communist idea!". We have debate on this forum about things like background checks, private sales, and the NFA and I think considering all sides of those debates make us better informed.

Logic is not the sole province if any side and the Brady people have some logic IMO on some issues. This may make me sound like a sell-out but I am not. I do want to explore the reasoning and logic of all sides and by doing so it gives me a sanity check that I always need

PS I hope when you used the term erudite, you weren't talking about me. This would ruin my reputation

Page generated in 0.03239 seconds with 8 queries