View Single Post
Old December 17, 2001, 08:45 AM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

1Gshot-
We got lucky on this hunt. My Pack Boots had not arrived by the time i left and, despite a full day in Santa Fe prior to the hunt, I failed to come up with a pair except from WalMart. I'm not certain what was more uncomfortable: the seams on the cheap WM boots or the lack of insulation in my hiking boots. In any case, a long trek would have been painful.

Our guide, Richard Ley, hit on fresh tracks day three. They were so fresh, in fact, that we'd jumped the cat off a kill. The dogs were set loose and treed the animal within about 800 yards of the road.

When we caught up, the cat was about 20 yards up. I carried the 500 Linebaugh with Ashley Dot sights in a Lou Alessi Crossdraw holster and the DRC Custom 45-70.

Due to the fact that the dogs kept breaking free of their tethers and the cat looked like it might bolt, Richard called for a spine shot thru the throat. This requires that I kneel basically under the animal. The shooting was barely marginal, I'm afraid to say. The short hike at high altitude, the vertical shooting angle and dumb lack of practice with the 500 Linebaugh all took there toll.

First shot was a complete miss! Follow up went 2" left of center and the cat dropped, catching the trunk and hanging. Third shot was taken as it swung on the tree and blew through the top of the shoulder. The cat dropped and bolted uphill.

The best shot was a 30 yard running TX Heart shot that, again, went left of center (by only an inch). Unfortunately, the hard cast 400+ grainer blew clean thru and exited in front of the left rear leg, without impacting bone.

The cat made it to another tree about 100 yards off. When we hustled up, it was lying on its side and, apparently, expiring. (Head kept lolling and eyes kept closing.) This is when it gets dangerous. If the cat rolled out of the tree, almost dead, the dogs would go for it and, chances are, it would take a couple of them (or us) out.

I put a 430 grain 45-70 through the chest and the cat dropped. Then it got up and started running! Again! It made it about 50 yards before dropping.

It's a perfect 125lb Tom. Teeth are pristine; coat is unmarred except for 6 entry/exits of various sizes! Thank God for Taxidermists!

All in all, the hunt was successful. But, as I said, the shooting was not very good. Next time.....PRACTICE!
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cathug.jpg (105.6 KB, 184 views)

Page generated in 0.03513 seconds with 9 queries