View Single Post
Old August 31, 2014, 04:07 PM   #11
Bart B.

Crusty, I was commenting on "this is a .22 rimfire being talked about here and as such there will be a minimum amount of reaction between the hard surface and the rifle when compared with a harder recoiling firearm." ... when I stated that others think otherwise. May not have appeard that way.

Those tuners on rimfire 22's cause much more than 1/4 inch errors at 100 yards. The best ammo at the time would easily shoot no worse than 1/2 inch at 100 yards and the 1/2 inch or more problems those Freeland style tuners caused was a lot more than that.

Yes, there are rifles that shoot better when hand held atop a bench with fore ends putting pressure on the barrel. Afield in unsupported shooting postions, the zeros change and accuracy degrades. That's what rimfire shooters found out with their systems as well as centerfire rifle competitors; if the shooter was good enough to tell the difference.

In some centerfire rifle matches, there are no sighters; every shot counts. I've never known a rifle match winner nor record setter whose bolt action rifle forend tip put pressure on the barrel. Service rifles used in competition, such as the M1 and M14 are norious for changing zeros when sling pressure changes the pressure the stock ferrule puts on the barrel's lower band. And the problems are closer to 1 MOA instead of 1/4 MOA.

Page generated in 0.03738 seconds with 8 queries