View Single Post
Old June 7, 2013, 06:43 PM   #27
Mike / Tx

I'm just going to throw this out there for you James.

You might be a bit better off holding up until they get in some of the 300's. Just recounting some of the many post I have read on another forum by a fellow who dwells on the 44 and heavier cast bullets, you might not be able to get those bigger bullets stabilized well enough from the shorter barrel and lower velocity.

I know I have had issues with the 310 from my full sized RH depending on what velocity I was running them at. I am sure that your not going to be shooting out to 50 or 100 meters, but still in all, if your heavy bullet hits and isn't stable, it isn't going to give you the benefit of the potential penetration you would get if it was. In fact you could quite possibly end up with more penetration from the 240gr load you already have due to the added velocity and stability, and it keeping truer to a straight line while doing so.

What I guess I am tying to get through here is, with the shorter barrel your going to only be getting a limited amount of velocity. Velocity added to barrel lenght equals a faster spin rate. Cut the velocity and the barrel lenght and you get less spin for the velocity you can get. Less spin equals less stability. Granted both the shorter barrel you have and the 7.5" one that I have are both the same twist rate. I however can achieve a higher velocity therefore a faster spin on the same weight bullets to the extent of my top velocities.

Just tossing this out as food for thought. If your interested in reading up on some of his post I will shoot you a PM with his info on it.

Page generated in 0.03344 seconds with 8 queries