View Single Post
Old February 26, 2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Sevens

Exactly! I don't typically post to simply say " +1 ", but I've got to say that:

--if you EVER find that guy again, you absolutely must tell him that he's not only full of crap, but he's a genuine jerk for attempting to either pass along information that he knew squat about, or attempting to willingly and knowingly mislead you. There are many powders that can be used outside of their comfort zone in a pinch, with lesser than optimal results, but even attempting to use IMR-4895 in 9mm would absolutely end VERY poorly, and could actually be catastrophic. As in -- someone could get hurt or killed.*

--IMR-4895 is a very good rifle powder, VERY popular and a good choice in some very common rifle rounds. If you one day intend to load center fire rifle, keep this powder and you'll be glad you did. Or, otherwise, I'm sure that a number of folks at any gun show would love to get their hands on it, especially right now considering the panic and the dearth of components. You could sell or swap. By retail, a pound of IMR-4895 costs a bit more than most any common pistol powder, so you should do well on a sell or swap.

*we knocked heads in this forum recently about "how" using such a slow rifle powder could be catastrophic in a small pistol round... common thinking would be that it wouldn't produce NEAR enough energy to even get the bullet moving...but in the REAL world, as nobody that I know has actually tested such a thing, you simply have to default to the possibilities -- especially when discussing this with folks new to handloading. And the most obvious, blatant possibility I see is that a new handloader with IMR-4895 loaded 9mm handloads goes to range, loads a round, pulls trigger once and sticks a bullet in the bore. Feels that it didn't work, so he unloads the rest of his handloads and defaults to the factory ammo that he almost assuredly still has. He puts a full power factory round behind a stuck bullet and that's precisely the moment when steel and/or plastic & wood starts flying, taking little bits of hands or face with it.

Page generated in 0.03492 seconds with 8 queries