View Single Post
Old May 22, 2009, 07:24 AM   #37
madcratebuilder

Quote:
to ask if anyone thinks they have a way to measure or at least estimate the sq. in./area of parts?-pistol frame for instance- to use with the Casewell unit?
Cadwell gives you a math formula to figure it. I eyeball the outside of the frame then double it for the inside .

Quote:
I doubt I would do but 4 guns ever and sure they might have to be touched up over time -
You can not use this for touch up. You could strip and re-plate.

Quote:
But in that thought if one could get a frame silver plated would that last longer than this process or would it amount to the same darn thing?
As Bill said silver is softer and well tarnish, looks great. I have a electroless nickle 1860 3rd gen, that's what got me started on this Cadwell kit.

Quote:
It seems it would matter most how thick you managed to get it regardless of whether it be silver plated or nickel-I think nickel is harder though.
Assuming you have the solution mixed correct the nickle builds up at the rate of .001 per hour. You must leave it in the solution until you are have the thickness you want. If you pull it, then decide to add more it well cause it to flake.

Quote:
Electroless nickel (any nickel plating) is much harder than silver.
Bill, you do a lot of plating, have you used a Cadwell product?

Page generated in 0.02690 seconds with 8 queries