View Single Post
Old October 17, 2006, 03:31 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Federal 215s

Have a long held reputation as the "hottest" magnum primers, the best for big charges of very slow powders. It may be true, but you couldn't prove it by me. CCI, Remington, and Winchester have also given me acceptable results, with properly worked up loads.

Every gun is an individual in some preference, and a given load may be safe, and shoot well in your rifle with a given primer, but not in mine.

Follow proper load developement procedures, Don't change primers without working up again, and it won't make a significant difference. It might make a measureable difference but it is unlikely to make a significant one.

Changing primers without working up the load CAN make a significant difference. It can spike pressures (15% is not unknown) and this can be a safety issue with max level loads.

Note that changing primers (or other components, or variables like seating depth) is not a guarantee of a pressure spike, but that it can happen, and if it does, it is seldom a good thing.

Page generated in 0.02994 seconds with 8 queries