View Single Post
Old August 1, 2002, 11:40 AM   #14
kungfool

I do tell all my students that even a complete idiot is very dangerous when weilding a knife or other lethal weapons, and if confronted by a knife attacker their best chance is to flee. Barring that they should expect to be cut in the confrontation and prepared to fight on in the event they were to be cut.
I also suggest that if time and space permit it (and fleeing is not an option) to quickly take off their jacket or shirt and wrap it around their weaker arm as a possible shield to use if attacked.

I recall a night long ago when I was living in jaurez, mexico. A friend of mine was faced off by an attacker who pulled out a switchblade knife. My friend easily slid out of his 3/4 length leather coat and managed to drape it over the attackers head as he lunged in. A kick to the groin and another to the face put the attacker flat on his back still holding the knife. My friend very quickly stomped hard on the attacker's hand that held the knife, crushing several bones in his hand as he did so.

However, in spite of the fact that my friend was able to keep his cool and prevail I believe it was a rare instance and that he was indeed very lucky.

Page generated in 0.03555 seconds with 8 queries