View Single Post
Old February 25, 2019, 01:10 PM   #26
RC20

Eanie:

Steel does not compress. The only way that would move things around would be lugs to break off or the recess to wallow out. One is a condemned bolt and the other a condemned receiver and likely both.

I would not call the 303 is not weak, it was a lower PSI than its contemporaries (never updated) but the Brits shot a lot of ME/FW out of the air with it and fought wars with it for over 100 years?)

Sherman: Cooper was not the only one that bashed the Sherman, he was just the latest. His factual parts were good, he had a bent and told some whoppers in regards to Patton as well as the Sherman itself.

Isrealis used upgraded Shermans into the 80s as I recall.

The Invasion Shermans were the standardized Ford V8 version (Brits had the Chrysler engine that they liked)

The odd part was the Jackson TD was a Sherman with a 90 mm gun that was equal to the Tiger I. Until they ran into the Panther in quantity (Normandy) did they start to re-consider as the 75 had done fine and was better HE than the somewhat better 76 (still to be answered was why they could not make a slower HE in the 76 that had the same HE of the 75?)

Brits put a 17 lb gun in the Sherman, pretty good AT but I have seen the pictures of trying to man it, insane, bent over and twisted to shoot it (they put it on its side to fit which took up turret room)

The Jumbo Sherman was as good as Panther armor wise, they failed to upgrade the armor.

Pattons command scrounged tanks and armored theirs so they were pretty much Jumbo Shermans. The other two armies did a concrete layer or a sand bag layer (not as good as adding more armor but a help)

One action I read about where they were attacked by 5 Panthers they just did a cross shoot into the sides, 5 dead Panthers (its side armor really sucked, it was more a long range Russians front where you could see the other guy a long way away and kept your nose to them)

Panthers made up about half the German tank force at the end (though a lot were broken down at any given time)

Page generated in 0.02616 seconds with 8 queries