View Single Post
Old May 5, 2001, 12:20 PM   #3
Jeff Thomas

Sad.

Keyes argues that it is wrong to invoke the term 'War' because of its implicit sense of permitting extraordinary abuses of civil rights. And, then he tells us the drug laws are necessary because of extraordinary conditions of moral depravity. While not technically the same, I believe those perspectives arrive at the same destination.

While I concur with his observation that the laws may have been partly a response to declines in responsible behavior, I disagree that they were an effective or necessary response. And, Keyes is ignoring some of the more 'pragmatic' reasons for the WOD, such as available agents after Prohibition, the natural bureaucratic struggle to gather power, the tendency of police agencies to enjoy the wealth-building benefits of asset seizures, ad nauseum.

Keyes naively believes the 'War on Some Drugs' will be won, and that it is possible to apply them without destroying our fundamental rights. I disagree on both counts.

I respect the man, but I do differ with him on a few issues. I should have known this would be one.

Regards from AZ

Page generated in 0.03138 seconds with 8 queries