View Single Post
Old February 12, 2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

Quote:
"If loaded with the Hodgdon data are they the start load or max load or somewhere in between?"
The bullets actual weight averages 125 grains. So I'm using mid range data for both Titegroup and Hodgdon Universal.

"Are you using the top ring as an actual crimp groove or simply seating them up to it for a taper crimp?"
I was seating the bullets to a COAL of 1.125" This fell just under the top ring.

I can see that I have made some mistakes, I need to re-evaluate.

Lyman data says a COL of 1.115" is called for in a 125 grain lead Alloy #2. My alloy is not quite that hard as I use a 95/2.5/2.5 mix.

I need to do a little more research. I do know one thing for sure, 1.125" or anything longer will not work in the Ruger chamber. It must be shorter or the top ring has to be removed. The only way to get to 1.115" is to seat mostly over the top ring.
That top ring wold be the driving band and in this case, it shouldn't hurt anything even if you seated down enough to put a slight roll crimp over just the leading edge or lip of it, as long as you adjust your powder charge down a tad to compensate for it. Like I mentioned what you give in one area, you have to take from another, to keep things somewhat even.

Universal should be, (haven't looked at the data,) a bit more user friendly, but then again I haven't used TG myself. Universal is stated by many to be pretty much equal to Unique but cleaner burning. I have a can of it but haven't had time to work with it yet. SOON I hope.

Your on the right track, just hit a fork int he road. It happens, thats why there are some many variations in data from one source to another. Sometimes however you still hit a snag and simply have to adjust for it.

With the alloy your using I agree throws a bit heavier bullet than the #2 does. If you have a bit more percent lead it will throw a bit heavier still. The good thing is that "LEAD" will absorb quite a bit more pressure before giving you anything extreme unlike jacketed, the downside though is that it usually shows up as leading from mild to severe. Leading however is a repetitively easy fix.

Page generated in 0.02879 seconds with 8 queries