View Single Post
Old February 8, 2013, 11:34 AM   #14
jmr40

Quote:
Shooting animals at 1000 yards takes no hunting skill. They are just shooters.
Unless you limit you shots to 15-20 yards you are not using any more hunting skills than the guy shooting at 1,000 yards.

I have no problem with guys who put in the time, money and effort to develop the skills necessary to cleanly take game at long range. Taking a game animal at 15 yards with a longbow takes hunting skills. It takes no more hunting skill to take an animal at 50 yards than 1,000. It is all about shooting skills with any animal outside of 50 yards, and with modern equipment it takes very little skill as a shooter to hit an deer inside of 300 yards.

The guys who proclaim they only take animals inside of 300 yards are neither highly skilled shooters nor hunters. And I'm not pointing fingers at anyone because I'm not skilled enough to consistently shoot at 500+ yards where shooting skill is a must. Nor can I consistently stalk to within 15 yards. I do have a tremendous amount of respect for those who have the skills to do what I cannot.

FWIW, I know quite a few who can consistently hit deer at 700 yards. Those are the same guys who also consistently take deer at 15 yards with their bows. They choose not to hunt at 50-300 yards because it is not challenging enough.

Page generated in 0.03362 seconds with 8 queries