View Single Post
Old October 10, 2009, 09:26 PM   #186
Mas Ayoob

Pigpen, thank you for your kind words. I am likewise honored to be in your presence, and the presence of all here. Gun people tend to be among the best and most pragmatic and thoughtful of people. That's what brought a lot of them to the gun in the first place.

However, I have to agree with Fiddletown (and, for that matter, with Sun Tzu) that underestimating your possible opponent is not the best way to prepare for a potential conflict.

Even if your shooting occurs in Mayberry, RFD and Barney Fife is the investigating officer, the gun is likely to go to the North Carolina State Crime Lab, where professionals who test guns for a living and probably belong to the national society of firearms and toolmark examiners will test the gun, weigh its trigger, determine if all factory-produced safety devices are working as intended by the manufacturer, etc. Any modification to the firearm can be expected to be discovered.

If the death weapon is Joe Internet's Browning Hi-Power whose manufacturer-provided safety device has been removed by Joe Internet to gain a five-pound trigger pull, we can safely expect that the prosecutor and/or plaintiff's attorney will spend a goodly amount of time from his opening statement to his final summary to the jury yelling about how only an arrogant sociopath would assume he knew more about this pistol than John Browning, Fabrique Nationale, etc., and RECKLESSLY REMOVED THE SAFETY DEVICE FROM A LETHAL WEAPON!

If the death weapon is my Browning Hi-Power, tuned by Bill Laughridge to a sweet five-pound trigger pull with safety devices all intact (AND the magazines dropping free at the touch of a button, thank you very much), none of that can happen.

I will have paid a helluva lot less to Bill Laughridge to fail-safe me and keep this argument from happening, than Joe Internet will have to pay to his attorney(s) and expert witness(es) to fight what may well be a losing battle.

Cordially,
Mas

Page generated in 0.02727 seconds with 8 queries