View Single Post
Old October 3, 2005, 02:11 PM   #19
dave_in_delaware

Did I read this right? Did you want to drive around to the side of the building, get OUT of the car, lock the car, throw the keys somewhere, and watch the situation, away from your car?? You can't just lock the car up and leave the baby by herself!! I *believe* (sarcasm detected?) that's against the law! And especially, during an armed robbery situation. Isn't that something like "Endangering the welfare of a minor" or "Reckless Endangerment" or something? Whatever it's called, if anything happened to that child while it was by itself locked in the car, you'd never forgive yourself. What if the get away car's plan of escape was driving 80 mph around the side of the building, and it smashed into your car (w/ child inside)? Yeah, you'd be ok. But your child??

I think you driving the car (i.e. "child") AWAY from danger is your only option. You can't leave your child. Yes, you want to protect both your child and your wife, but you can't in this situation. Your wife would want her baby to be safe. She's an adult, and yes, the BG could have killed everyone in the store. But then he could have killed every witness in the parking lot, too (which would include you (and maybe the child, if he noticed her). Getting the heck out of there as safely as possible was your only option, in my opinion.

As much as I'd want to help my wife, I know I couldn't with out endangering my child at the same time. So, like others have said, first priority is the helpless child. Your wife is an adult, she has a better chance of survival by herself than the child does.

Glad it wasn't anything like your scenario, but it's good to discuss every possible situation. Thanks for the post.

1. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (1110 rnds as of 06/18/05)
2. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (w/ blue & silver GK, gift for fiancee)
3. Ithaca Gun Company Model 37 12ga shotgun (from Grandfather)
4. Future: AR-15 build

Page generated in 0.02792 seconds with 8 queries