View Single Post
Old January 27, 2014, 06:23 PM   #41
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Noir
They were smart in making the 1st Gen mags work in the 2nd or 3rd Gen guns, as long as other things matched. That means a single stack 9mm from one generation fits in any single stack 9mm gun from all generations, unless you try to use a compact magazine in the full size gun.
This statement is not entirely correct, although it's slightly off topic as it relates to the Model 3913.

S&W lengthened the grip frame of the 3rd-gen full-size single-stack 9mm models- the 3904, 3906, 909, and 952. OEM 8rd factory magazines for a 1st- or 2nd-gen full-size single-stack pistol (39, 439, 539, & 639) WILL NOT lock into these pistols; trust me, I've tried it. However, 3rd-gen single-stack mags WILL work in an earlier full-size pistol, and ANY of these mags will work in ANY of the compacts, although they'll protrude from the grip frame.

FWIW the 1st-2nd vs. 3rd-gen full-size mag compatibility issue isn't reflected in many of today's parts catalogs, because almost all of the full-size single-stack mags made during the last 15-20 years are 3rd-gen length. However, it's a major PITA if you cruise the gun shows looking for 3rd-gen mags, as there are a LOT of used mags in circulation for the earlier guns, but seemingly next to none for the 3rd-gens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmanopla
...i just buy 2 pro mags 10 rd mags on Ebay
Good luck with that. Promags for S&W's do NOT have a good reputation.

Page generated in 0.03661 seconds with 8 queries