View Single Post
Old January 16, 2011, 12:14 PM   #11
BigJimP

Personally, I like and shoot a variety of the Browning Citori's - for bird hunting, Skeet and Sporting Clays - I shoot a Citori XS Skeet model, 30" barrels - in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 .... For Trap I like the Citori XT with 32" barrels ....

If those guns were not in my budget ....I would probably look for an SKB or a Ruger Red label ...( SKB's are out of production now - but there are still some around). I think I would also look at Cabelas TriStar O/U especially since it has a 5 yr warranty. On these less expensive O/U's - I think a good warranty is a pretty big deal - especially if you have a barrel "regulation" issue where they are not hitting at the same point of impact.

Sometimes I see a few used guns around / especially where the stock is scratched up pretty good - but mechanically sound ...especiaally a Browning or Beretta - and a little sanding, some stain, some varnish ....and you can end up with a very nice gun.

The guns I would definitely stay away from are Huglu and Baikal ...both have a lot of issues. But Stoeger or Mossberg may be worth a look as well.

I would certainly make sure the gun has screw in changeable chokes - to make it more versatile ---and remember weight is a good thing when it comes to reducing recoil / stay away from real light guns ( say under 7 lbs ) especially in a 12ga. You need to be a cautious consumer when it comes to O/U's under $ 1,500 or so ....and just go with your instincts.

Last edited by BigJimP; January 16, 2011 at 02:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.02761 seconds with 8 queries