Thread: Pocket Pistols
View Single Post
Old February 26, 2007, 06:38 PM   #51
westphoenix

Murph,
I actually did read some reasons for the mag disconnect.
I am still not convinced on the reasoning for it (at least the reasons I read).

Here is one that stuck out to me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1137189008/1#1
Example:This Kevin fellow mentions the magazine disconnect.Somehow he missed the fact that a live round cannot be ejected from the chamber w/o a mag inserted,either.Neither is a defect nor a compromise.
When the Seecamp was being developed,many were questioning the safety of all "mouse guns".Seecamp wanted a way to make the pistol impossible to fire in an instant,then just as quickly possible to fire,so it can easily be made safe if left unattended.
What about the fact that it won't eject that chambered round w/o the magazine?An unfortunate bi-product of the magazine safety?Nope.A well thought out FURTHER safety device.Seecamp planned for the worst of all situations:A child handling the gun w/o an adult present.If the responsible owner of the Seecamp took the precaution of removing the mag but left a round in the chamber,the child not only cannot fire that round,s/he cannot cycle the slide and gain access to a live round of ammo.Genius.
Please note Larry Seecamp replies to this same thread and does not disagree with the statements made by the above quoted.
If you have time to remove a mag from a pocket pistol to make it safe you have time to put that pistol in your pocket or in your safe. A responsible owner doesn't leave guns sitting around where children can get them. If someone has a really good reason for a mag disconnect that also locks the slide closed, I would love to hear it and possibly change my opinion.

I know with my posts about the mag disconnect I am probably coming across as someone who doesn't like the Seecamp, etc. That is not that case I really do like the pistol, but that one feature is more of a disadvantage than an advantage IMO. Any other Seecamp owners agree with me? If they had two models; one with and one without the mag disconnect which would you rather have?

Page generated in 0.03377 seconds with 8 queries