View Single Post
Old January 5, 2018, 07:01 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

I only own Marlin levers.
Winchesters are overpriced for what they are, Savages have moved into the collectors' realm, Brownings are just overpriced altogether, and Henrys don't appeal to me (too clunky and unrefined).
Well, actually... I guess I do own a Henry, but it doesn't live with me. So, I never think about it.

Normal cleaning is pulling the lever and breech bolt (and ejector so it doesn't go walkabout or snag patches), inspecting for appropriate movement of the firing pin, cleaning the chamber and bore, wiping the bolt down, re-lubing, and reassembling.

Proper cleaning - after hunting season, or 3-5 range trips - is a full tear-down. Everything but the barrel and sights/optic come off or out off the receiver. I even pull the magazine and clean those parts. Everything is scrubbed as needed and inspected. Then everything is re-oiled, reassembled, and function-tested.

Most people can get away with never giving a centerfire Marlin lever gun a proper cleaning, or just squirting WD-40 in it once a year; and still have it function well enough to go bang.
I like those rifles. I can buy them cheap, because they look like crap and the action is gummed up, and turn them into a slick, smooth shooter with a deep cleaning.

Page generated in 0.02717 seconds with 8 queries