View Single Post
Old January 11, 2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Pointshoot

I'd think the NRA is waiting to see what is put before them by the antis. I just heard a very short web radio partial statement by an NRA spokesperson and they said that the focus should not be on 'feel good' measures but to look at what actually is the cause of these kinds of acts. - - Well, since the likelihood of being struck by lightening is higher than being a victim in a mass shooting, one has to wonder if any 'measures' are really required. (Just websearch the numbers for the number of people stuck by lightening versus those in mass shootings over the last 10 years.) IMO, there isn't enough emphasis on this fact. This was a horrible event, but emotionalism seems to be the order of the day, and the antis are using this to advantage. But I suppose today, using the facts, logic, and the truth would be heard by many as "nevermind, youre concerned about nothing" by the soccer Moms. So, this is likely a bad strategy. (Ever have a girlfriend or wife accuse you of 'not listening to her feelings' ?)
That said, a common factor in most of these senseless mass shootings is that the murderers were taking psychiatric drugs which can increase suicidal and violent behavior. This needs to be investigated and brought to broader attention. The media definitely isnt doing this.
If the NRA focuses on this, it will help frame these matters and will better protect the children and similiar victims of these rare crimes. (As another comparison - about 115 people are killed in auto accidents every day in the US.)

I'm an NRA Life Member. I'm also a member of Gun Owners of America (GOA) & Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO) - I'm not Jewish, but you don't have to be. - - - I'm in the NRA because they are the biggest pro 2A organization out there. I'm in the GOA and JPFO because IMO they take a more aggressive stance to protect our gun rights.

Last edited by Pointshoot; January 11, 2013 at 04:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.02788 seconds with 8 queries