View Single Post
Old January 4, 2010, 03:44 PM   #13
hillbillyshooter

Bartholomew's explanation is the way I have always understood the law to be. It seems that when we get to using the nomenclature of "Castle Docterine" to all self-defense gun laws people can get confused. In WV we have a Castle Docterine that no longer requires you to retreat within your home, (guy in home= BG looking to threaten your life). However, on the street there must be a clear threat of bodily harm, so we do not have a "Stand Your Ground" clause (which I have understood to relinquish your responsibility to defuse or avoid the situation when possible). I have always viewed the wordage to be Castle concerns the home and surrounding property, and SYG reffers to public places.

Quote:
Not correct. Here in SC the Castle Doctrine extends to vehicle and on street for CWP license. Another important aspect is it protects against civil law suit if it's determined you followed the Castle Law. This is what makes the SC law very good compared to others.
Maddog,
Are you saying that in SC only a person with a CCW license has the right to defend themselves? Are all others in SC not able to protect themselves on the street? Or is it just that only CCW holders are prevented from lawsuit if they follow the law?

Page generated in 0.02144 seconds with 8 queries