View Single Post
Old May 4, 2012, 08:37 AM   #5
pilpens

My kimber 1911 custom target II had extractor issues at start - added tension and filed the hooks to better grab cases. It took several tries to get the proper hook shape. Both fixes were easy.

At approx 2500 rounds, fail to lock open with metalform mags but continues to work fine with kimber mag. I think kimber uses a .45 slide stop which is OK with the supplied kimber mag. I believed that kimber has fixed this issue on newer pistols.

Watch out for finger prints on the barrel. Kimber barrel seems to rust easier than others on the outside. I think it is because of the tiny grooves on it that can hold sweat. keep the barrel oiled to prevent rust.

Mine is several years old, approx 8, and it still looks new. It is seldom in a holster.

+P ammo --- maybe OK but I have not shot +P intentionally. However, I have shot some hot 147 grain reloads when testing handloads. Had no issues but I do not recommend it. I use mine primarily as a range/target pistol so I try to stick near standard ammo strength.

I have several changes to the pistol now but only because of preference:
1. changed the firing pin stop to square edge.
2. changed plastic mainspring housing to S&A magwell housing.
3. changed to wood grips.

I like my kimber. I have been shooting it more the past 2 years. I shoots very well with remington 115 from walmart and my 147 reloads.

Last edited by pilpens; May 4, 2012 at 08:43 AM.

Page generated in 0.02653 seconds with 8 queries