View Single Post
Old November 22, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1
9ballbilly

yesterday at the range

Took my Ruger Speed-six .38spl to the range yesterday. Two other guys were there shooting Glock and Taurus autoloaders. While I was setting up I noticed that both would shoot a full magazine, lay their pistols down (clear) on the bench and walk up to check the target. We were all shooting at about ten yards. Not a thing wrong with any of that. What seemed to surprise them both was during my turn. I drew,fired one shot double action, reholstered, marked the hit on my target, returned to the firing line and repeated the process with every shot. Both seemed genuinely non-plussed that unless actually shooting or dumping brass my revolver was holstered (not set on the bench) and that I marked every shot. I practice this way because the most comfortable way for me to carry is high and tight behind my left (strong side) hip. I find drawing from this position to be more difficult than with a holster more forward, requiring additional practice. FWIW I fired 30 rounds and 29 were solid center of mass hits. number 30 was in the 7 ring.

Does this seem to be an abnormal way to train for self-defense? If you were at the range with me would you have thought I was weird for doing it this way?

I'm asking because it's been many years since I was a LEO or target shot more than a few times a year and my knowledge of training techniques is Pre-turn of the century. Any up-to-date tips on SD training methodology would be greatly appreciated.
Best wishes, Bill

Page generated in 0.02937 seconds with 8 queries