View Single Post
Old June 23, 2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Lucas McCain

If he was still in his car, opening his door and you were still in your car, opening your door I highly doubt he saw you reach for your gun. He more than likely had second thoughts when he saw your door opening and realized there were 2 people who were going to offer resistance.
You were right in getting ready to draw your gun, but to use lethal force if he was advancing to within 21 ft, and possibly unarmed, wouldn't justify shooting him in my opinion. In a road rage case, you weren't the driver, I suspect his anger was towards the driver of your vehicle, no threat to you.
I don't know Michigan laws on use of lethal force, but I would suspect that the no retreat rule would apply to a loss of life threat, not a minor physical threat. A rule as you stated and your quick action to draw your pistol might get you in a lot of trouble in civil court.
Be very thankful you didn't have to use lethal force. When carrying one needs to think of many things and how it all can shake out.

Page generated in 0.03869 seconds with 8 queries