View Single Post
Old February 5, 2019, 04:51 PM   #1
shurshot

Childhood impressions???

I feel spoiled, growing up in the late 70's, early to mid 80's, reading gun magazine articles from Skeeter, Jordan, Keith and Cooper. Each month I looked forward to reading their gospel, and re-reading it over and over. No internet, the only way to learn was to "talk guns" with older relatives and neighbors, absorb all we could from the writings of the aforementioned and experiment... with and or without proper supervision. A few close calls, but no fatalities, the boys in my neighborhood were lucky. Got my CCW as a senior in HS, a piece of paper the local Constable signed while shaking his head. Issued it to me as he suspected I had been carrying for several years anyhow, LOL! My first carry gun, at 12, was an old H&R Premier .32 S&W top break, shooting 88 grain lead at barely BB gun velocity (I could see them in mid flight). At 16 I bought a Rossi 88 3" SS .38 (mom signed for it). Nice trail gun, but I couldn't afford enough ammo to shoot it as much as I wanted. Traded if for a cheap FIE Buffalo .22 single action revolver, which I ended up wearing out in a year by fast drawing and fanning it so much. Took some small game with it though. A neighbor often loaned me his 50's Ruger Single Six .22. That was a nice gun for shooting at frogs and turtles with .22 shorts. At 18, Dad bought me a Taurus 66 6" .357 Magnum. Saved his lunch money to get it for me without his 2nd wife's knowledge (she was a control freak). Magnums without ear protection... yeah, not smart. I still have it. Sweet gun!
In Maine, most LEO's back then carried S&W K and N framed .38's or .357's. Kids openly walked around with airguns up and down the rural streets. Shotguns and rifles could be carried openly. State Game Wardens or State Troopers would stop and check out a 12 y/o walking with a pump shotgun to make sure it was empty and ask where I was headed. But there was no issues. Red squirrel, porcupine, woodchucks and coyotes were open year round, so there was always game to hunt if I didn't feel like shooting at a local gravel pit. The local Sheriff's or Constables would just wave and keep driving as they knew I was a local kid, not a trouble maker. Being a juvenile gun enthusiast was ok back then, at least tolerated, unlike today. Different world.

I'm glad I grew up then and not today. Nice memories. Am I alone in this feeling?

Last edited by shurshot; February 5, 2019 at 05:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.02453 seconds with 8 queries