View Single Post
Old August 30, 2016, 04:40 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccphd
Just an "FYI," The Charlotte Observer, along with its sister publication the News and Observer (Raleigh, NC) is extremely left-wing and over the top anti-gun.
Perhaps. I wouldn't know.

I didn't mean to imply anything about the Charlotte paper's political leanings; I was merely trying to point out to anyone in the D/FW area that the original link from the Kansas City Star was NOT referring to the Dallas paper coincidentally also named the Observer.

Sour grapes over the Charlotte NRA convention would explain the gist of the Charlotte Observer piece, however.

I'll be interested to see if this gets any D/FW press coverage given the Exxxotica fiasco; without delving too far into a local-politics tangent, Exxxotica is (as one might guess from the name) an adult-entertainment convention that was recently and unexpectedly blocked from using the city-owned Dallas Convention Center, with Mayor Rawlings' blessing, and the organization is now suing the city over the matter. The Charlotte Observer piece loudly ponders "What-If" the city does the same to the NRA.

However, the city of Dallas is using alleged indecent conduct at the last Exxxotica convention as an excuse to block them, whereas it's much harder to pin the "Illegal!" label on the NRA. Secondly, I surmise that voters and (perhaps more crucially) the local business community would be much more likely to punish Rawlings over blocking the NRA than over blocking Exxotica—particularly since Ft. Worth or one of Dallas' deep-red suburbs would likely covet the opportunity to steal the NRA convention from Dallas, simultaneously winning the restaurant and hotel business while rubbing egg in Rawlings' face. (Rivalry between cities is a long-running North Texas tradition. A former Ft. Worth mayor is famous for his habit of taking sack lunches whenever he visited Dallas so that none of his money would go into Dallas city coffers.)

Last edited by carguychris; August 30, 2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: stuff added

Page generated in 0.02544 seconds with 8 queries