View Single Post
Old September 4, 2011, 01:21 AM   #469
BillCA

Quote:
Thats why I said its a specialized catridge because it is. It is just one certain people like to use. It is not one of the more common calibers. You make a point though. Its not really unecessary it just didnt become popular with the main crowd I guess.
You're attempting to use logic to justify your own opinion that the .327 is a "specialized" or "niche" cartridge that only "certain people" like to use.

The factory loads for the .327 are measured from a 3-inch barrel, yet when compared to loads for the venerable .357 Magnum, they overlap the midrange of the .357. Start measuring the little .327 from four to six-inch barrels and it holds it's own with the .357.

Will it take down a deer, mountain lion or black bear like the .357 Magnum? I'm tempted to say yes with a solid slug, excellent aim, a smidgen of good luck and a big pair of brass ones. But asking the .327 to do those jobs is like asking the .357 Magnum to take on a charging Grizzly. You're stretching its limits and relying on a thin razor of luck.

The .327 was designed to fill a certain role. A powerful defensive cartridge that would allow you to carry six rounds in a 3-inch barreled SP-101/J-Frame package without the "fire & brimstone" or harsh recoil of the .357. This meant a muzzle energy between ~400 to 500 ft-lbs to drive a .32 caliber bullet hard enough to penetrate well. Not everyone needs the .357's ability to launch a 180 grain pill downrange at 1200 fps. There are too few bears prowling the streets of Tulsa or Omaha. However, the .327 should be just the right medicine for the two-legged wolves in those towns.

Like any new cartridge, we won't know how effective it is in reality until some thugs become voluntary test subjects. I'd expect it to be about on a par with the 9mm and .40 S&W.

Page generated in 0.03269 seconds with 8 queries