View Single Post
Old May 5, 2010, 11:41 AM   #31
booker_t

nef, if I remember right, Noah White was rather well entrenched in a house, armed with shotguns and handguns. He put up a heck of a fight, but claimed it was the Sherriff's Office's fault, because they were poorly trained and didn't properly handle the situation. He went to far as to say that if he was aquitted, he would run for Sherriff, and if elected, he would improve Officer training.

Well I checked, and he was found guilty on all seven counts. From people who knew him, including his Father, the story was that he was two men.. one normal, caring person. The other, a powder keg. Him and his father apparently nearly came to physical confrontation over lost sunglasses.

I'm not sure on the 1000-round count, but if so, I would agree the Sherriff's Office probably didn't respond appropriately, but that doesn't excuse White either. From what I've seen, if somebody is barracaded in a house and nobody else is in danger, they begin to attempt negotiation to get him out peacefully. For more urgent situations, calling in a SWAT sniper or gas through a window would be viable alternatives.

Certainly a law enforcement incident where high capacity was a factor is the 1986 FBI Miami shootout. The level of firepower was likewise an issue, as most readers probably know.

On the Civilian side as you ask about, I don't know of any legal actions taken by civilians that required rounds beyond what you could count on your hand. I tried to search for one, but didn't have much luck. Most news stories don't report how many rounds the civilian fired, so it's a tough question to answer.

That said, I love 1911s, but for carry I much prefer the combination of capacity 15+1 (+15) and energy (767ft-lbs) of my Glock 20 or 29.

Page generated in 0.03383 seconds with 8 queries