View Single Post
Old June 5, 2002, 08:14 AM   #1
Edward429451

Shot vs Buck vs Slugs...

I've been rethinkin the SG as HD weapon and what ammo is appropriate. I used to think birdshot was a good choice (Hits like a slug out to 10 ft, no over penetration, misses less lethal due to light weight.) But the sheer number of pellets actually increases your chances of hitting something not intended on a miss/periphrial. So what if its a lightweight pellet that strikes a bystander, with all the lawyers nowadays, you'd still be toast.

Buckshot is great if you plant em' all in the perp or have multiple BG's to engage. But if some pellets miss, your still in the hotseat. With the armor available, while unlikely is still a factor to be considered. If the perps armored or out past 25-35 yds, it may not be an incapacitating hit.

Slugs extend the range somewhat and are devastating pretty much at any range. Misses of course can be critical to your neighbors or homes, so what to do? Simple, don't miss.

I've never heard of an extended engagement with a SG. One or two rounds and its over. In this light I've revised my thinking thusly, I used to think 00 Buck backed up by a couple slugs. Now I think at the most 2 rounds of 00 backed up by as many slugs as the SG will carry. If a home invasion you may need to punch thru the wall. If only one or two BG's the 2 rnds of 00 will suffice. If more rnds are needed escalation of range and power are in order so switch to slugs and don't miss. I like the idea of only having one projectile at a time to be accountable for.

Anyone see any holes in this logic? Opinions?

Page generated in 0.03251 seconds with 8 queries