View Single Post
Old September 23, 2010, 07:32 PM   #25
orionengnr

"Best"? That is a matter of opinion, and you will get plenty of those. In the real world, everything is a compromise--size, weight, firepower and so on.

The PM9 is an incredible design. It is a quality firearm. The early s/n ones had the infamous "barrel peening" issue (mine did). That said, Kahr fixed it quickly and completely, and it has been 100% ever since. I pocket carried it every day (~9 months of the year) for a bit over three years. About a year and a half ago it's big brother (P45) became my EDC/9 months. I carry it IWB and it has likewise been 100%.

In what we laughingly call "winter" here in Texas, I carry a 3" 1911 IWB. I have literally owned nearly a dozen of them. Aside from the two Springfield EMPs which were problem children (some would say that the EMP is not a "true" 1911) I had extractor issues with a 3" Para, and a variety of issues with a 3" Charles Daly/Armscor.

I've also had four 3" Kimber alloy frames, all of which were/are 100% reliable with any ammo, including my 200gr LSWC handloads.

Based upon my real-world experience, I consider the "unreliable 3" 1911 myth" to be exactly that.

That said, the Kahr P45 weighs 18.5 oz vice the 24 oz of the 3" 1911. To put it another way, a loaded P45 weighs about the same as an empty 3" alloy 1911.

When wearing shorts and a t-shirt, as is befitting the weather most of the year (here), I find the P45 to be the perfect compromise (for me). Just a bit larger and heavier than the PM9, lighter than the 3" 1911. I prefer the 1911 action and trigger and shoot it slightly better, and would carry one year-round if I lived in a climate where shorts and t-shirt were not nearly mandatory.

Once again, all about compromise. Find what you like best, because there is no "best".

Page generated in 0.03479 seconds with 8 queries