View Single Post
Old December 28, 2010, 09:16 AM   #1
ak-kev

1858 Timing Question

Hello, I received my first black powder revolver the other day. Its a new forged fame Uberti 1858 Remington with a 5.5 barrel. I collect Colt revolvers so I was very nervous about what to expect from Uberti quality. I was very impressed. I've had the gun apart and marveled at its simplicity. Im really liking it. I have noticed that there are no lead cuts in the cylinder for the bolt to drop into. Im reading that a "perfectly timed" 1858 will drop the bolt in the bolt stop perfectly as the cylinder rotates. I know this is unrealistic to expect and more unrealistic to think it would stay that way after many hundreds of rounds. Mine is dropping a little early, where the bolt is 75% in the bolt stop, 25% on the cylinder. I've shot it like this many times for two weeks but Im afraid of it eventually peening the leading edge of the bolt stop. I know Im making this sound difficult, and Im sorry. My question is this......does anyone have a picture of where I need to work on the bolt leg to allow the bolt to drop a little earlier? I would like it to drop just outside the bolt stop and then slide in. I see the bolt leg riding on the hammer cam but I dont know how to make it slip off earlier. Thak you for reading. Kevin.

Last edited by ak-kev; December 28, 2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Page generated in 0.03403 seconds with 8 queries