View Single Post
Old November 13, 2017, 10:23 AM   #17
BBarn

Your list has what you need to get you started. But I will offer a few suggestions/comments.

Personally, I would go with a bench mounted press, and powder dispenser instead of the scoop set. My first reloading setup (shotshell) was a bench mounted press that I mounted to a small piece of plywood and clamped to a table top. I would do that instead of a hand press. A powder dispenser can also be mounted in a similar manner and charges dropped over the edge of the table top.

For 38 Special and other handgun cartridges I never bother with a powder trickler. Rifle cartridges with long extruded powders are a different story. I almost always use a trickler with those.

I started with a beam scale, but use a digital almost exclusively today. I think starting with a digital is fine.

I started with a primer pocket tool as well. I know many people don't use them routinely, but I always use one to clean the primer pockets. I suppose it could be put off if funds run low.

With the 38 Special you may not need one for now, but if you load other more powerful cartridges (especially rifle) you will want to get a case trimmer. For now with the 38, you can simply set aside any cases over 1.155” long (measured after sizing).

Page generated in 0.02491 seconds with 8 queries