View Single Post
Old November 12, 2001, 03:53 AM   #4
Oakleaf

Costs really do vary enormously. Stalking is perceived as an upper class/ rich sport - but as in all things, those interested will find a way.

There are six species available in the UK, but I'll keep this to Red and Roe.

I expect to pay about £75 ( per person ) for each of the two days - if accompanied. If we go solo - the price drops circa £30. It is great to go solo - and something that is earned over here. However, I am always learning and £30 is cheap education. To go out with a professional Highland stalker is to learn.

Cheaper stalking is available and more expensive. The cheapest, reasonable stalking I have seen was £250 for five days. Other Estates can charge that for the day.

Red deer - the classic Scottish stalk - varies as well. Stags command the higher price. Schemes vary, some places charge a basic fee plus a charge for each animal plus a trophy fee, others charge purely for what you shoot. On average a Stag will cost you between £350 and £1500.

Hinds are cheaper, but as the Estates have to contend with cull targets in poor weather, guest stalkers can be more of a burden than help. I go out regularly each winter and pay £100 for a day - split between two of us - ie £50 each. Taking beasts as directed - no further cost. Some days it will be one animal, others four or five.

All venison is the property of the estate. Sometimes one beast is included in the price, mostly you can buy the animal at cost. Prices fluctuate, but the present market is flat. Previous average pricing was 50 pence per pound Red and 90 pence Roe.

Density - again varies. Richard Prior quotes -

Thin Woodland/ disturbed - 1 roe : 25 Acres
Good Woodland - 1 roe: 10 Acres
Ideal/ Healthy - 1 roe: 5 acres.

Land area varies. THe Roe shoot I will describe in coming weeks is over 4500 acres of commercial forestry - Larch, Lodgepole and Scots Pine about twenty years old, bordered by open hill & moor. In January I will go out on Red Hinds on circa 26,000 acres on the North of the Isle of Arran.

The other way to obtain stalking is to take a lease direct. Here parcels vary from circa 500 acres up to thousands. These leases usually specify cull levels and the leaseholder owns the venison - so overall price tends to be lower.

Page generated in 0.02773 seconds with 8 queries