View Single Post
Old October 30, 2001, 05:49 AM   #11
Mort

I second the training idea--assuming you don't have any, of course. Filipino can be very good.

After buying, carrying and manipulating-to-the-point-of-muscle-memory a great deal of knives, I have come to the conclusion that there aren't really any "must have" features on a knife other than extreme sharpness. Anything else, you can just work around it.

However, I have found a big guard to be helpful. For saber grip, a serrated thumb ramp is nice. And a toothy gripping surface for the scales is also a big plus when keeping the knife in your hand is a primary concern.

All that said, many of my favorite knives are like poison to my friends--they hate them because they don't fit their hand or style. Just go to your local knife store and handle about 1000 knives. If you don't fall in love with any of them (and even if you do--hard not to), start picking out the features you like. As to makers, anyone who is willing to work with your ideas and knows how to really sharpen a knife is a good choice.

Page generated in 0.03589 seconds with 8 queries