Thread: Mini 14 Review
View Single Post
Old October 7, 2001, 03:27 PM   #15
Jhp147

Test problems

Please test the Mini-14 for this problem: I must warn, this is not a "they say," or an "I heard," or even a "somebody on the 'net said." This is a "I was there and saw it happen....more than once."
Several years ago, I was in a basic rifle marksmanship (LEO) course with 10-12 AR's, mostly Colts. Three deputies had Mini-14s, the ones with the three round burst capability but full stocks. Each night, we would clean our weapons. First rounds fired each day were sighters, practicing verifying POI, etc. The Minis, all three IIRC, would not hold the same point of aim/point of impact after being cleaned. Group locations moved 6 or more inches. To make matters worse, the POI change was so bad in one gun that the rear sight did not have sufficient adjustment range to bring them back on zero in at least one instance. All three Minis suffered, though in three different degrees. The ARs held zero or close enough to zero to make changes unnecessary. We were firing 100 yards, prone, loop sling. I always liked the ergos and feel of the little Rugers, but this put me off of them. What are the chances that those were the ONLY 3 like that?

Page generated in 0.02929 seconds with 8 queries