View Single Post
Old April 9, 2009, 03:15 PM   #31
Dreamer42

BP paper cartridges

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum, but have been shooting blackpowder since the 1970s in Jr. High, and firearms in general since I was a wee little kid.

I consider myself to be one of those "authentic-progressives" when it comes to this hobby (I have been reenacting CW since 1998) and I try to look at history as it was really done back then.
To confirm previous statements, most used factory prepared combustible paper, (animal) skin or foil cartridges. The packages were purchased in 6 rounds to a package. The packages were either cardboard (similar to modern 20 rd. centerfire cartridge boxes) or a block of wood drilled with holes for the cartridges. Some packages were "waxed" to provide some waterproofing. This made them easy to carry in a pocket, or leather pouch on the pistol belt.
Do a search on the web and you'll easily find pictures to copy. I make my repoduction boxes and labels (drawn on Adobe Illustrator) while tracing originals from the web.

As for loading I found about 18 - 19 grains fits nicely into the paper "cup" I made for the cartridge. More than 20 grains and the connical ball may not seat down far enough to rotate the cylinder. It is about 2" long and tapers from the size of the chamber to about 1/8". I use cigarette paper - less is more, just enough to make the cartridge. As for lubing the ball (I fire both round and connical) is use about 50/50 parafin and crisco. I just roll the ball around in the (dried) lubricant and set asside to dry (about 30 minutes). Then place the ball on top of the powder charge in the paper cartridge. The lube is sticky enough to keep the paper snug on the ball so it doesn't fall apart.
This method is very convenient, easy to carry and authentic. If you don't want to mess with the cardboard boxes, you might consider keeping them in some sort of round tin for safety. I made about 36 rounds in one evening while watching a movie (um...Outlaw Josey Whales)

Have fun!

P.S
I have never had a "chain fire" from not packing grease over the chambers. If your ball is the right size, a small ring of lead should come off when loading, thus sealing the chamber.

- Jay Reid
Dreamer42
9th Texas/165th NY

Page generated in 0.04148 seconds with 8 queries