View Single Post
Old April 16, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Murdock

Colt New Service .455 Eley/.45 ACP

I'll be brutally honest: When it comes to wheelguns I'm a S&W kinda guy. So, do I keep this Colt or not?

Picked up a .455 Eley Colt New Service cheap a year or so ago. I'd guess the finish at about 60-70%, and the the mechanical condition is very good. British proof marks on frame and barrel, and plain wood military stocks. Flat cylinder latch, and a lanyard ring in the butt. The gun was only $250, and I figured I'd play with it a while and then trade it.

The gun had been converted to .45ACP, as many were, and the machining to accomplish this was well done. It groups poorly with the .452 200-grain LSWC bullets that have worked well for me in 1911s and in my S&W 1917 and M25-2. (Jeez! Is it possible I have a thing for .45s?) When I feed it RNHB 230s groups tighten right up, so I'm guessing that the bore is every bit of .454-.455, and the LSWCs are just too small. (I have other projects going and so far have been too lazy to slug it).

I have obtained an original .455 Eley cylinder with finish that matches that on the gun quite well, and left it with the gunsmith today to have the .455 cylinder fitted, essentially restoring the gun to original configuration. I figured this would make the gun more attractive in a trade or outright sale to get what I really want, which is more Smiths.

But the gun is kinda neat, in a lumpish, Colt New Service sorta way. (Did I mention that I'm a S&W type?) and I have wondered about keeping it. My questions are:

1. Is anybody shooting the effete, wimpy, British .455 Eley? Is it worth the hassle of reloading? ("Really Mrs. Pedicaras! A red Bordeaux with lunch?")

2. I have read that some .455 Eley/.455 Webley New Service revolvers will take .45 Colt cartridges when the chambers are deepened, without further modification, but I'm not sure how this would work, since the case rims on the British stuff are thinner than the .45 Colt cases. Has anybody got experience with this?

3. How did these guys conquer the world with such puny handgun cartridges as .380/.38 S&W and the various .455 rounds?

Last edited by Murdock; April 16, 2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Page generated in 0.03623 seconds with 8 queries