View Single Post
Old January 27, 2020, 08:14 PM   #281
stagpanther

Quote:
1.715" barely closes with feel
Likely 1.713 given tape compression.
Done with a case?--the ptg gage is a very good one--probably not 1.713 would be my guess--so I'm calling it 1.714--which in turn means CMMG "did it right."
Quote:
How could the bolt close in that condition? One thing about the Stoner design (and unlike Garand's) is that the bolt's gotta be pretty-well fully rotated before the firing pin will protrude far enough to ignite the primer.
I've seen too many cases with rims bent--especially the failed or bulge cases--that I can't come up with an alternative explanation. I'd be glad to hear one if you have suggestions. The firing pin clearance is a very good point--forgot about that. Still there must be some kind of asymmetric pressure on case rim upon ignition--it is consistent in all the cases with bulges. The only other factor I can keep coming back to is the overall headspace "slack."

Here's the fired hornady AW case--it looks very much like your handload bulged case.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2662.jpg (76.0 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; January 28, 2020 at 07:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.03338 seconds with 9 queries