View Single Post
Old August 22, 2012, 09:08 AM   #9
GI Sandv

Thanks for the replies. Because it's a nickel boron bcg, I was hoping this would be the magic solution that prevented me from having to lube anything. Perhaps at least a little between the carrier and bolt, as well as a tiny bit in the star chamber near the lugs will help, at least until the rifle settles in a bit. At this point in my life, I had thought that I had learned to always inspect new equipment before trying to use it. But somehow I failed to notice the buildup on the backside of the bolt. Stupid failure on my part, although I don't know that it would have changed anything.

Does anyone on here with a nickel boron bcg have any thoughts on where, how much, and when to lube this? It's supposed to operate without lube, but my car is also supposed to get 19mpg, which never happens. Also, for those with nickel boron, do the surfaces of your carrier and bolt look the same? I just noticed that my bolt has a much more matte finish than the carrier does, which makes me wonder whether the builder used stainless or chrome rather than nickel boron for the bolt, and just used a nickel boron carrier. In either case, I'll call him and ask whether he runs into this sort of problem with his new builds, and I'll ask about the bolt as well.

To answer some of the questions raised: rotating the bolt in the carrier is possible although stickier than I am used to (in well-worn service M4s). There's no significant amount of debris in the locking lugs, unless this is something that you couldn't discern simply by looking at it. I was only using brass ammo yesterday. And as for manually running rounds through it, I did attempt to eject live rounds from the chamber with a magazine in but the bcg wouldn't come back. So, I just fired and it cycled then, but only while firing. I didn't want to induce another jam if I didn't have to. Just now, with the upper detached, I was able to manually cycle the bolt in and out of battery without any problems. Doing it over and over for two or three minutes was pretty easy and the bolt was rotating fine.

And thanks, Tex, for the recommendation for mortaring. I had never run across this technique but will try it out next time I get a jam like this. (I had hoped to try again today, but now my shoulder seems to be out of battery and until that gets worked out, there will be no shooting.)

Kahr PM9, Springfiled XD9, Browning BPS 12Ga., Browning SA-22.

Page generated in 0.02244 seconds with 8 queries