View Single Post
Old March 30, 2012, 04:16 AM   #22
BruceM

Quote:
The new published MAX load is more that 10% less than what was previously published
So, what you're saying is that either the "new" powder is substantially faster or the old data produced a substantially overpressure load?

Possibly I didn't articulate the reasons for that in my "rant". That said, I do not wish to restate the reasons.

Incidentally, there are many folks you feel the reason for reduction in published charge weights of old propellants is directly proportional to the degree of involvement of the legal and underwriting departments have in the publishing process-a theory I agree with to varying extents.

Quote:
I never get up to max loads without working up - if I see evidence of excessive pressure (primer blow outs, bulging cases, etc.), I back off immediately. I always err on the side of safety.
That's always a good plan of attack. Be advised that when you get to the point of primer blow outs, bulging cases, etc., you are already way past the safe point and further, there will be no "classic" signs of high pressure in lower intensity rounds such as .38 Special, .45 Colt and .45 ACP until your stratospherically over the edge. In those cases, the chronograph becomes your good friend.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceM; March 30, 2012 at 04:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.02590 seconds with 8 queries