View Single Post
Old January 18, 2012, 11:00 AM   #12
R1145

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Don't most large police agencies now mandate the wearing of body armor?
In our agency, it is recommended but optional, which is reasonable given the variety of tasks performed. Patrol officers almost universally wear theirs.

Quote:
1. See it coming and if you can avoid it, do so, if you can't avoid get the advantage and shoot first.

2. Only good hits count so speed is fine, accuracy is final (per Bill Jordan.)

3. Always cheat, always win (as per Clint Smith's rule.)
We're the good guys. We can't cheat. We (hopefully) stay within policy, shoot straight and tell the truth. Also, we generally have to be reactive and wait until the facts would lead a reasonable and prudent person to believe a crime has been committed.

I like #2, though, but I think that's kind of what I was getting at with my #11: Be slow quickly: Find the front sight, and pull the trigger.

Quote:
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Skills unused are lost.
Again, sound advice, but more strategy than tactic, I think.

Quote:
Is this a recipe for all scenarios/situations? Doesn't look like a close combat formula to me--but then I don't know much about anything.
I'm not sure what a "close combat formula" is. Every situation has a unique set of circumstances and many possible outcomes. I'm trying to put together a list of helpful hints to enhance the chance of survival when an officer is involved in a use of lethal force.

Quote:
Look at getting some training in a Gun Fighting School.
More sound advice, but the officers are undergoing training. I'm just putting together a list, basically of discussion points. I fully realize, though, talk is cheap...

Page generated in 0.03670 seconds with 8 queries