View Single Post
Old July 19, 2011, 10:28 PM   #22
carguychris

Quote:
We cannot pre-empt their right based on a possibility of a crazy or crooked relative... Are those folks in public housing perhaps more likely to have such - maybe but so what. It's not relevant as we don't brand folks for others actions or predicted actions.
To address Glenn's last point, I seriously doubt anyone could find a statistically meaningful difference between residents of public housing and residents of a nearby inexpensive private apartment complex- yet we don't have laws banning people from owning guns at their private apartment.*

If you add your local $150/week no-tell motel to the mix, I'll bet that's where you'll find the largest number of crazies, felons, drug addicts, and other assorted prohibited persons... but guns aren't banned there either.*

I just can't fathom a convincing argument why banning guns in public housing is a more legally sound idea than banning guns in all sorts of other public places. The presence of "risky" people doesn't equal justification for stripping rights away from the law-abiding.

The arguments for banning guns in public housing basically boil down to "Because We Can & It Makes Us Feel Good" and "It's Our Obligation As Fine Upstanding Citizens To Take Good Care Of The [insert "nice" racial epithet]s So They Can Learn To Be Like Us".

*In most places, anyway.

Page generated in 0.03258 seconds with 8 queries