View Single Post
Old November 13, 2008, 07:13 AM   #5
Patriots

From all tests I seen online and in person the ultra high velocity of the S&W 500 in Corbon, Grizzly Cartridge, Beartooth and "some" of BuffaloBore's ammo is they work best and start to come into their own at long range hunting sometimes well over 200+ yards where they work best. My thread was about looking for the best "close quarters self-defense" ammo against large game at a radius from 50 yards to point blank and a large heavy bullet slowed down will penetrate deeper and do more damage. High velocity, high energy hand gun hard cast ammo will deform if used against large game from 100 yards or closer. The best seen and tested in the field has been the 500JRH in 440gr for deer, elk, caribou size game at around 100-150 yards and the 500JRH 425gr penetrator is best for stopping power in close situations from around 50 yards to point blank. If you were a tour guide in Alaska or a national park with lots of dangerous animals or a fisherman in those areas and wanted something for self-defense to pull out quickly you'd want the 500JRH 425gr penetrator is what I and Jack was saying. He tested pretty much all hand gun ammo and found the 425gr works best at close range and stopped many Grizzly/brown bear, Moose, and 2500lb Bison with one shot up close. Jack loves the dangerous almost suicidal chances of up close stopping power when a huge animal is charging and you fire when the animal is less than 30 feet away. His 500JRH 425gr has shown the best results in those situations.

When it comes to stopping power up close for rifle ammo I'm trading in my Weatherby 300 for a Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45/70g govt with a 18.5" barrel. The 300 WBY doesn't even come close in terms of penetration and stopping power compared to the 45/70 govt especially if the Marlin is loaded with Garrett Hammerheads. My friend's using their Marlins always beats my 300 WBY in every bullet trap test with wet newspaper and wood boards we do at the range. The 45/70 in 420gr Garrett Hammerhead blows holes through 7 feet of wet newspaper at 75 yards while my WBY can only penetrate a little over half way. I'm limited to what game I can shoot with my 300 WBY, the largest I safely can go is Caribou, but it's a bolt action gun and it's too dangerous to use for close self-defense, I can't pull the bolt back fast enough. A 45/70 with Garrett 420gr and 540gr+p Hammerhead ammo has more energy at 130 yards than a 375 H&H does at the muzzle and we're seeing tests done that the 45/70 is out penetrating the 458 Lott and Rigby ammo. Garrett 540gr +P Hammerhead is consistently taking elephant, Rhino, Hippo and 2500lb Bison with one shot.

Page generated in 0.02607 seconds with 8 queries