View Single Post
Old December 25, 2004, 11:40 PM   #4
LSUBOY

I've never fed my 52 nothing but Speer, Meister and Hornady HBWC bullets. I also have a book that I live by and it's called "The Pistol Shooter's Treasury" by Gil Hebard.

It has tons of advice form a host of past champion shooters. The chapter on the S & W 52 says that S&W asserts that all of their 52's average 2 to 2 3/4 inch at 50 yards. And that they keep the test scores on your gun at the factory. To find out what your gun shot when they had it, just call.

"Shoot ANY of the factory wascutters in this gun and worry naught. But handloads?-this could be a different story. 2,000 various handloads machine-rested through the 52 left me with the impression that the handloader is going to have to use ..........

HERE IS ANOTHER PROBLEM FOR ME:

Gil Hebert states that the 52 does not suffer from leading and that they did not clean the test guns at any time. And that they did have leading in the front part of the barrel but accuracy was as good at the end of the test as it was at the first part of the test?

Now Ken Walters sings a different tune. He states that in his tests with 38 wadcutters in four different guns, including a Colt auto target model that "accuracy goes out the window with leading".

Both Hebert and Walters state that it's very very hard to cast good 38 wadcutter bullets. And that one would be best served if you could find a good source of cast wadcutters and purchase a bunch of them. {I would love to learn to cast my own bullets}.

I'm also going to take my pistol home to Shreveport and talk to the boys at Clark Custom about it. THERE is a little side-to-side play in the top part of the frame. They weld a thingee on the bottom front of the frame and drill and tap a small hole on each side of it. Then they place a {allen} set screw on each side and when the slide goes back in battery, the two set screws cause the slide to lock-up in the same place every time. I think they call it an "accuracy enhancer".

One thing for sure, I am going to figure this gun out in the next 4 months or I'm going to get rid of it and purchase a Clark /Colt 38 Wadcutter conversion.

Oh' forgot to say that of all my guns, the 52 is the one I love the best. Followed by my Hi Standard Victor. They sweet as candy!

Page generated in 0.02754 seconds with 8 queries