View Single Post
Old October 10, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
ZentetsukenVII

Project: Stainless Ruger 1911 polish

Hey guys. I decided I am probably going to polish my Ruger SR1911 stainless to make it all shiny and gangster. I have always liked the look of nickle and mirror stainless guns, so why not customize my gun to match my liking? I like the finish it has but it has worn down a bit from use and carry. I feel like a mirror finish on my gun will hold a better finish. Not to mention it would be pretty slick having a chrome-like 1911 with some nice pearl grips lol.

Now I have some experience polishing steel. I did blade polishing for Japanese swords, which is high carbon steel. I have never done work on stainless, but I hear it's a bit easier. Not to mention there is no cutting edge to worry about on a gun, and also the gun will be much smaller than a katana blade. That being said I have never taken a matte finish and polished it to a "chrome" shine, I've only done scratch removal, edge reforming and made blades with a satin finish shine like a mirror.

My biggest concern is the serial number and Ruger logo. I do not want these gone for obvious reasons. The laser etching feels adequate, but not that deep. I saw a thread on the Ruger forum where a girl did this to her sr1911. I can't seem to get the page to load, but if you search: "Ruger sr1911 exterior polish" it should come up. They talk about ideas on how to keep the serial number there and she never says how she did it. Also the ruger logo stayed pretty visible after the final polish.

My other concern is the Ruger warranty. I actually have been needing to send my gun in for a while. The rear sight is not centered and I have to aim slightly left to hit true, and the beaver-tail safety rattles like a dinner bell. I suppose I should send it in to ruger before I do any work on it eh? I can't even get the rear sight to budge so hopefully they would loosen it up enough to where I could take it on an off. Also the front sight concerns me. Is it hard to remove? I figure after I do this work on my gun I will need to re-sight it in most likely?

Is taking all the extra parts off a difficult task?

This project will take a while to get going, but that gives me time to collect information.

Thanks guys!

Page generated in 0.02013 seconds with 8 queries